A group of 21 graduate and undergraduate students led by SNHL faculty Brandi Sillerud, DNP and Nancy Stock, DNP recently returned from a week-long study abroad trip to London, UK. The focus of the trip was to explore healthcare and nursing in London with cultural immersion. The group left on May 20th and returned May 26th, 2017. The weather was fabulous with temps in the 70’s with no rain!! The group had a wonderful experience with an itinerary that included:
- Guided walking and bus tours of London to places such as Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Shakespeare’s Theatre, Convent Gardens, etc.
- Meeting with a Master’s prepared nurse specializing in Pediatric Palliative Care.
- Site visit at ‘Antidote” a web-based business matching patients with U.S. clinical trials
- Tour of the Florence Nightingale museum
- Panel discussion on UK’s National Health System (NHS) healthcare delivery model
- Tour of the Royal College of Physicians & medicinal garden with a lecture on medical history
- Site visit at the Good Care Group focusing on elder care in the community setting.
- Cultural excursions included: London Eye, River Thames cruise, Tower of London, plus others.
- Multi-cultural dining experiences included the popular fish & chips and an Indian dinner.
Some of the comments made by students include:
- “A trip of a lifetime!!”
- “I learned so much about the differences and similarities between US and UK healthcare!”
- “Where are we going next time??”
Check out more photos and comments on the MSUM Healthcare & Nursing in London Facebook Page
Submitted by : Nancy Stock, DNP, Assistant Professor