The roots of Women’s History Month can be traced to the first known Women’s History Week that was celebrated in 1978 in Sonoma County, California. From then the movement slowly spread to other cities and gained support from President Carter declaring March 8th National Women’s History Week. March had been declared Women’s History Month in 14 states by 1986. The National Women’s History Project and other lobbying groups used this as evidence when discussing with Congress to declare March as Women’s History Month nationwide. Congress made the declaration in 1987. Since then the movement has grown each year.
There are events nationwide that last all month long to celebrate Women! Here are a few in the area.
- On March 22nd from 11:00-1:00 you can attend the Leading Ladies Luncheon at Fargo Holiday Inn to hear from leading local women about their successes and business stories.Be sure to register by March 15th using the link below.
- On March 29th from 7:30-9:30 attend a lecture at Concordia by Dr. Mary Dana Hinton, the president of the College of St. Benedict, entitled “Mission-Driven Leadership for Women.”
In the Fargo/Moorhead community there are also many resources for women. Check out the list below to see if any of them interest you!
- Junior League of Women – a nonprofit group of women dedicated to bettering the lives of women and children in the F/M area.
- Dress for Success Red River Valley – a national nonprofit that helps women with employment interview attire, resume-writing, and a few other career services.
- North Dakota Women’s Network – a coalition of ND women aimed at bettering “the lives of women through communication, legislation and increased public activism.
- Join them this Friday at Gastropub at 5:30 for the March Feminist First Friday.
- On March 9th from 9:00am – 5:00pm join the movement at the ND state capitol to lobby for policies that will better the lives of families and women.
- Girl Develop if Fargo – A chance for female software developers to network and attend seminars relating to the field.
- Fargo-Moorhead Women’s Business Exchange – A networking opportunity for female business leaders and owners.
- Women’s Impact – a nonprofit group that provides a variety of resources to women to empower them or help them get involved in their community.
- Women Connect – a monthly meetup organized by the Fargo-Moorhead-West Fargo Chamber of Commerce “aimed at connecting, inspiring and growing a community for women in business.”
- Attend the monthly meeting on Thursday, March 26th from 3:30-5:00 at the Avalon Events Center West 2525 9th Ave. SW, Fargo.
- Women’s Business Center – a group that organizes leadership programs and seminars to help women advance in their careers and develop as leaders in business.
- Attend the Fargo Leading Ladies Luncheon on March 22nd from 11:00-1:00 at the Fargo Holiday Inn.
Empowering women is a goal in the F/M area and these resources/events are a great way to do it! Get informed, get involved, and get EMPOWERED!!
Sources: http://www.nwhp.org/womens-history-month/womens-history-month-history/http://trainingnd.com/event/2017-leading-ladies-luncheon-fargo https://www.fargomonthly.com/community/local-resources-women/