Are you ready to party?! The Comstock Memorial Union (CMU) is having a party to honor it’s 50th year open to the public (For the non math majors, it opened in April of 1967). There will be plenty of games to win prizes at and cake for everyone!
Here are some things I bet you didn’t know about the hub of student life:
- Students are what made the CMU smoke-free in 1971, 4 years before MN legislature was written requiring it
- We had more than Sodexo at one point, like a Pizza Hut in 1994 and a Burger King in 1996 Sadly, they’re both gone.
- It helped house flood victims in 1997
- The Bishop Whipple Cobber’s (oops, I mean Concordia now) owe the founder of MSUM, Solomon Comstock, a huge thanks! He helped build their college also.
- There used to be a karaoke machine in the Wooden Nickel, what is now the Underground.
There is a little game that’s being played in the CMU, Find the 50. It’s not a game of hide and seek, but of creativity. Every week there is a challenge with a theme. The theme for this week is “50 with the Most Pride”. Students can create the number 50 out of anything or find the number 50 anywhere. Then they just need to take a picture of it and post it to Twitter with #CMUCelebrating50. The post with the most like wins $10 in Dragon Dollars (Think of the treats you can buy on study day)! The top 10 posts at the end of the month will be put in for a drawing for $50 at the Bookstore, one of the most highly sought after prizes available. It’s so simple, just enter! You can win money, why wouldn’t you?
The party is officially set for April 28th at 7pm. Be sure to come, there will be a lot of food and fun for all.