Saturday, June 2 is National Trails Day! There are multiple activities that many people enjoy while on the trails including hiking, biking, bird watching, geocaching, and horseback riding. Which activity will you choose to celebrate this day?
The Fargo-Moorhead area is a great place to explore. It is covered in trails! While many of these trails aren’t your traditional hiking trails, you can still enjoy them! Some places you may want to check out include Gooseberry Mound Park and M.B. Johnson Park. Check out the links below to find some trails and parks near you!
- Map of trails and parks in Moorhead: https://moorhead.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=d50766a606824b89b5b2b1afd0dba369
- Map of trails and parks in Fargo: http://www.fargoparks.com/assets/maps/parkmap.pdf
Before you head out on the trails, make sure you are prepared:
- proper footwear: trail shoes or hiking boots
- map: even though we have easy access to GPS on our phones, bring a map just in case!
- food and water: granola bars and trail mix work great! Bring extra food and water just in case your outing is longer than expected
- rain gear and extra clothing: be prepared for anything! We live in an area where the weather can be unpredictable
- first aid kit
- sunscreen, sunglasses, hat
The American Hiking Society has great resources including hiking etiquette and how to prepare for any length of an outing on the trail. Check out their website if you would like more information.
In the end, it does not matter which activity you choose to do while celebrating National Trails Day, just get out and enjoy nature!