It’s finally fireworks season! There is a lot of fun packed into fireworks as there is a huge variety! Loud, quiet, big, small, what is your preference? These exploding pieces of entertainment are so fun, but don’t let them end up putting a damper on your Fourth of July celebration! Incorporate the following safety tips to ensure a night full of fun and prevent potentially serious accidents.
- Know the laws of your city in regards to fireworks and follow them!
- Read instructions and warning labels before lighting. Know what the firework will do so you know what to expect to ensure the safety of others in the area.
- Responsible adults should supervise the use of fireworks. Fireworks should not be lit by someone under the influence of alcohol.
- Wearing safety glasses can protect your eyes from debris and sparks.
- Light one firework at a time and back away quickly.
- Do not relight “duds.” Instead, wait 20 minutes then put it in a bucket of water.
- Have a bucket of water nearby.
- Do not put fireworks in pockets or shoot them into glass or metal containers.
- Avoid the use of homemade fireworks.
- If you have pets, make sure they had IDs and keep them in a safe place.
- If it is windy, make sure the wind won’t blow the fireworks into the crowd or wait to light the fireworks until the wind dies down.
Follow these rules and use common sense when around fireworks. It may seem ridiculous to have so many rules, but they are there to protect everyone! Have a fun and safe fireworks season!