According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence Organization:
Domestic Violence Awareness Month evolved from the first Day of Unity observed in October, 1981 by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. The intent was to connect battered women advocates across the nation, who were working to end violence against women and their children. The Day of Unity soon became a special week when a range of activities were conducted at the local, state, and national levels.
The organization encourages people to support the cause and take a stand, learn more about how to help at: http://www.ncadv.org/
Some interesting facts about Domestic Violence Awareness Month:
• The color of Domestic Violence Awareness during the month of October is purple!
• 2014’s Week of Action is October 20-24th (learn more about Action week at: http://nnedv.org/getinvolved/dvam/4392-week-of-action-2014.html
• Organizations encourage people to make this global by using social media! Show your support by changing your profile picture, your twitter name, pinning pictures or instagramming to spread the awareness!
• There is a book club on Goodreads! The club is called Reader with a Cause and they use books that raise awareness through issues and opportunities.
• You can become a member! Check out the following links to learn more: