Because We Are EQUAL to the Task
Every year, during the month of October, National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) is celebrated. This is a national campaign aimed at creating awareness about disability employment issues and recognizes the contributions that disabled American’s have made to the workforce. This year the theme is “Because We Are EQUAL to the Task.”
The beginning of NDEAM can be traced back to 1945, when a law was passed to recognize the first week in October as “National Employ the Physically Handicapped Week.” After realizing that all types of disabilities should be acknowledged, the word “physically” was removed. The name was changed to “National Disability Employment Awareness Month” in 1988, when congress lengthened the week of awareness to a month.
There are several ways that you can participate and help spread awareness. These are just a few of the many examples that the United States Department of Labor recommends.
- Review polices—October is a perfect time to review your company/school polices. Confirm that they show your strong commitment to a disability inclusive workplace.
- Create a display—Create a new bulletin board with positive messages about a commitment to a disability inclusive workforce.
- Distribute posters—Spread the word about NDEAM.
- Hold a discussion—NDEAM is a great time to discuss the topic of disability employment.
- Feature NDEAM in social media activities—Let all your friends and followers know that you support a disability inclusive workforce!
More information and ways to get involved can be found at